Voices from the Past

This forum is open to all of the villagers of Trelawnyd past and present


I would like for them to share their memories, old photographs, family histories and past Village news with me so that I may be able to present a comprehensive record of this small. ancient and facinating Welsh Village Community throughout the ages.


All photographs will be returned after being scanned and published

For those that want to read a comprehensive study on the History of Trelawnyd, please refer to the Book "TRELAWNYD PAST & PRESENT" by Daphne and Ken Davies

The Village Flower Show Blog can be viewed at

http://trelawnydflowershow.blogspot.com/
and my personal Village based blog can be seen at

http://disasterfilm.blogspot.com/

Best Wishes

John Gray

Trelawnyd 571838


Email : jgsheffield@hotmail.com
Many thanks to the following citizens of Trelawnyd for their conributions so far:
Mrs Gwyneth Jones, Mrs Gladys Jones, Mrs Olwenna Hughes, Mr Trevor Evans, Mr Hubert Evans, Mrs Bryn, Davies, Mr Islwyn Thomas, Mrs Pat Bagguley, Mrs Joanne Hewitt, Mrs Beryl Evans, Mrs Daphne Jones, Mrs Audrey Jones,Mr Basil Davies, Miss Mona Davies, Mr Graham Jones. Mrs Iola Endres

Mrs Gladys Jones "Auntie Glad"







Mrs Gladys Jones
Age 91
Years in the Village 70









"I came to Llanasa * in 1936 from Pantymwyn near Mold. I came to Gyrn Castle!"
Q; "That is the big private house just outside the village isn't it?"
"Oh it's not a house it's a castle!"
"It was beautiful......yes.....I went there as a house maid when I was 16 and there was nine of us there as staff.....we all had to work in them days....when we reached the age of 14!"

"I met my boyfriend [giggles] at a whist drive at Llanasa. Bob was from Trelawnyd ( well Newmarket as it was called then) and I was married from the castle!"

"Major Bates provided me with all of the transport- in them days it was "Jones Avon Goch" and they also gave me the entire reception...all of the food everything!!!
Now I could have held it in the castle itself, only my husband's mother was ill and she lived right next door to where we are right now. so the reception had to be in the village here"

"Before I left the Major said to me....he said Gladys..I must buy you some wine for your reception"
Now I didn't have a clue about wine
So he told me to find the chauffeur and "we'll go and see what you may like!"
[giggles]
"I didn't like ANY of it!"
The day I got married the major gave me fifty pounds.....that was a great deal of money wasn't it?

"I finally settled in Trelawnyd in 1945....only after I had completed my war work"
I have been here ever since!!!

* Llanasa is a small village a mile and a half from Trelawnyd

1 comment:

  1. At 91 Mrs. Jones has seen a lot of changes!

    ReplyDelete